Monday, March 31, 2014

Alternate assignment

While watching the the seal in a first person point of view, it was really interesting in a variety of ways. From this angle, you can see what its like when the seal is roaming around the tank. It also was interesting to see how trained the seal was. It seemed to know whenever the trainer wanted it to come up to the surface, which makes me wonder if it was its sense of smell, hearing, or if it had really good vision.

 The first thing that interests is why the orange filefish got its name when it consists of mainly yellow and black. In a way, they are like a flounder because they have a very thin, flat body. I found it really neat to hear that these fish tilt their head down when they are swimming because I do not understand why this would benefit this species in any way.

Although I have seen penguins do many things before, I can not stop thinking about how they are such good climbers with small arms and legs. I found it really interesting that penguins are territorial and return to their natural habitats after they migrated. I guess I don not know as much about penguins as I thought I did because I believed that all penguins were adapted to really cold weather.

Veterinary staff were examining pneumonia that a turtle had. One of the procedures they used is called bronchoscopy which is where they inserted  a scope through the trachea in order to reach the lung. By doing so, the veterinarians can see if the tissue is diseased or not. They did a "tracheal wash" in order to obtain the bacteria/fungus and get a sample of it to see if they can find an antibiotic or anti fungal to fight it off. While I observed the photos of a normal trachea, I noticed that there were two bronchi: one led to the right lung and the other to the left lung. During the bronchoscopy, there seemed to be a significant difference between the normal trachea and the turtles right lung. The turtles right lung seems OK because I can see the bronchi, but I also notice a lot of smaller holes which concerns me.


No comments:

Post a Comment