Sunday, October 20, 2013

Dance of the Continents


Although I already knew a lot prior to this topic, there is a variety of interesting things that I did learn from this activity.  One thing I already knew was that the earth had mainly one large continent. I also knew that it broke up into many pieces and they drifted apart (and still do). What I never thought about is the fact that the landmasses spread across the ocean floor. As far as the theory of tectonic plates goes, I did know that the tectonic plats existed and that they are parts of continents and islands. I also knew that their type of boundary is determined by their motion.  What I did not know about this theory is that there are six major plates on earth and that they also consist of the ocean floor. Another thing that I did not know about this theory is the fact that the plates are a part of what is called the lithosphere. Sea floor spreading is something I am completely new to. I did not know that magma rises between the plates in what is called the global rift. I also find it interesting how when the magma cools, it forces the plates to expand and the continents move.

No comments:

Post a Comment